Here’s a review of this week’s questions:
- What is the name of the popular brunch spot located at the Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza?
- What is the name of the Cincinnati music venue that began life as an auto repair shop and has been rockin’ the Clifton neighborhood since 1971?
- What private school was depicted in the 2000 movie, “Traffic,” and then threatened to sue the filmmakers to have its name removed from the film?
And here are the answers:
- A National Historic Landmark, the Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza is among the most recognizable buildings in downtown Cincinnati. Its in-house restaurant, Palm Court, offers fine dining in its Orchids room and casual fare at the Grille. Brunch at the Orchid is an experience unto itself. The interior decor is all art deco- the gold wall trim, art and tables set with white linen & silver. From the moment you are greeted, you’ll enjoy top-notch service that is attentive and quick. Brunch includes an omelet bar, Belgian waffles, shrimp, crab, and super-tender prime rib.
- Cincinnati’s Ludlow Garage has been a prominent live music venue in Cincinnati’s Clifton neighborhood for fifty years. They have hosted everyone from the Allman Brothers, who recorded a live album there, to the Kinks, Iggy Pop and B.B. King. The current space, at 324 Ludlow Avenue, exists as a neighborhood gastropub and still offers great musical performances by legacy acts like Delbert McClinton and Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush.
- Steven Soderberg’s sprawling crime epic, “Traffic,” has a winding path that led to its being partially filmed in Cincinnati. The movie’s screenwriter, Stephen Gaghan, had attended Kentucky Country Day School in Louisville, and based scenes in the film on his own drug-related experiences while a student there. When the production team chose Cincinnati over Louisville, they chose Cincinnati Country Day School as the setting for the part of the story involving a high school student, played by Erika Christensen. The school was successful at having the name removed from DVD and digital versions of the movie later.
Thanks for playing!