Thanks for playing Know Your City! Let’s review the questions.
- On May 24, 1935, Cincinnati Reds Owner Powel Crosley debuted a special promotion that forever changed Major League Baseball. What was the promotion?
- After several unsuccessful businesses, a thirty-nine-year-old, 8th-grade dropout launched a legendary Cincinnati Record Label that music historians say helped create Rock N Roll. Who was he?
- Cincinnati is the hometown of Hollywood’s first female sex symbol, the original ‘vamp,’ and star of over 35 movies. Who was she?
And here are the answers.
- On May 24, 1935, at Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Powel Crosley introduced the first night-baseball game played under artificial lights.
- in 1943, Syd Nathan started King Records, which became the sixth-largest record company in America, the home of James Brown, and what historians call ‘True American Music.’
- Theda Bara, the stage name of Theodosia Goodman, was born in Cincinnati in 1890. She became Hollywood’s first sex symbol wearing a flower-bloom bra as Cleopatra in the 1917 epic.