Here’s a review of this week’s questions:
- This Cincinnati restaurant has been serving delicious Greek food since 1976. What is its name?
- And speaking of Greek, this Cincinnati restaurant, opened by two brothers newly arrived from Macedonia in 1922, was the first in the city to introduce what is now known as “Cincinnati Chili.” What restaurant was it?
- New Jersey native Israel Ludlow is famous in Cincinnati history. What did he do in 1786?
And here are the answers:
- Sebastian’s Greek Restaurant. Located on a busy street corner on the west side of Cincinnati, Sebastian’s Greek diner is a beloved spot that has been delighting hungry visitors for over 45 years. The tiny restaurant was opened in 1976 by Greek immigrant Alex Vassilou, renowned as “the first person to bring the gyro sandwich from Chicago to Cincinnati.” Gyro is the Greek specialty consisting of lamb and beef on pita bread with yogurt sauce, tomatoes, and onions. Other menu items include Greek salads, dolmathakia (stuffed grape leaves), and spanikopita, but do yourself a favor and have the gyro with a side of fries for the perfect Cincinnati lunch!
- Empress Chili. Referred to as “the first edition of a Cincinnati tradition” on its website, Empress Chili currently calls Alexandria, KY, across the Ohio River from Cincinnati, its home. Macedonian brothers Tom and John Kiradjieff started their business at a small shop next to the Empress Theatre in downtown Cincinnati. The chili they introduced at that time included a unique combination of Middle Eastern spices, and started a trend picked up by other immigrants in the area. Years later, Cincinnati-area staples such as Dixie, Skyline, and Gold Star Chilis opened and made this local delicacy a nationwide phenomenon.
- Government surveyor who “found” Cincinnati. If the name Ludlow sounds familiar to Ohioans, it’s not surprising, as Israel Ludlow’s accomplishments were incredibly profound in the region’s early history. Ludlow was hired by the first and only “U.S. Geographer” Thomas Hutchins in 1787 to survey the land in what is now Montgomery County. Along with partners Arthur Sinclair and James Wilkinson, Ludlow laid out a town called Losantville, which eventually became Cincinnati. In 1795, they departed north to make their way to the area of land that would eventually become Dayton. Dayton and Cincinnati both have a Ludlow Street, and Ludlow Falls near Dayton, as well as the city of Ludlow, KY, are named for the man.