Here’s review of the questions:
- For whom was the house that became the Taft Museum of Art built?
- Who was the architect of the original Cincinnati Art Museum building?
- What originally existed in the space that became Union Terminal and is now the Cincinnati Children’s Museum?
And here are the answers:
- Martin Baum—Baum was the son of German immigrants who became an American businessman and politician. Baum attracted a great number of German immigrants to work in his enterprises, which included steamboats a sugar refinery, a foundry and real estate. Baum bought the property on Pike Street in 1812 and the construction of his Federal-style home was completed in 1820. The museum is named after Cincy native Charles Phelps Taft.
- Cincy architect James W. McLaughlin designed the Romanesque-revival building which opened in 1886. Burnet Woods, Eden Par or downtown Cincy on Washington Park were possible locations for the initial building. Charles West, the major donor of the early museum, cast his votes in favor of Eden Park, sealing its final location.
- Lincoln Park—The public park, created in 1858, that included a lake, island, gazebo, and a baseball field. Most of the space was paved over in 1980 for the terminal’s shopping mall, the Land of Oz, and is subsequently used by the Cincinnati Museum Center. The lake at Lincoln Park: