Here are this week’s questions:
Today, Kroger ranks as one of the world’s largest retailers. And it all started in Cincinnati. Can you answer these questions about Kroger?
- What was the original name of Kroger?
- In the 1930s, Kroger was the first grocery chain to do what?
- In the 1970s, Kroger became the first grocer to implement this technology. What was it?
And here are the answers:
- In 1883, using his life savings of $372, Barney Kroger opened a grocery store he called The Great Western Tea Co. After growing to 40 stores in different cities, the company became Kroger Grocery and Baking Company. The name was later shorted to Kroger.
- Kroger was the first grocery chain to monitor product quality and to test foods offered to customers. Barney Kroger’s motto was “Be particular. Never sell anything you would not want yourself.”
- In the 1970s, Kroger became the first grocer in the United States to test an electronic scanner and the first to formalize consumer research.
Thanks for playing!