Here’s a review of this week’s questions:
- What Northern Kentucky city is home to Evergreen Cemetery, the location used for the filming of the funeral scene in the movie “Rain Man”?
- What was the name of the rock band, formed in Cincinnati in 1965, that had a major radio hit with the song “Billy, Don’t Be a Hero”?
- What is the name of the “over the top” doughnut shop that recently opened in Cincinnati’s Norwood neighborhood?
And here are the answers:
- Southgate, Kentucky. The movie “Rain Man” won a slew of awards in 1988, including Best Picture, and many of the key scenes in the movie were filmed in the Cincinnati area. The funeral scene for Sanford Babbitt, the father of Charlie (Tom Cruise) and Raymond (Dustin Hoffman) took place at Southgate’s Evergreen Cemetery, and included Styrofoam headstones created by Rolf Monument Co. of Newport, Kentucky.
- Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods. “Billy, Don’t Be A Hero” was a #1 single and sold three and a half million copies in 1974. It was undoubtedly the biggest hit for Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods. After forming in 1965, the band’s career started to escalate when they joined the Osmond Family on tour in 1970. They had a few minor hits before “Billy,” but “Billy” blew the band up and carried them along until the end of the 70’s, when they broke up, eventually changing the name to the Bo Donaldson Band. Many band members, including Bo himself, are still around and play nostalgia shows on a regular basis.
- Starlight Doughnut Lab. Norwood just got a little sweeter with the addition of doughnut maker Starlight Doughnut Lab. In addition to Proud Hound Coffee, Starlight offers “potato doughnuts” with flavors like carrot cake, Dreamsicle, lemon poppyseed, maple butternut squash, brownie batter and raspberry-jam-filled. Owner Ben Greiwe also plans to have one vegan flavor available per week and, starting in March, one gluten-free flavor per month. Another exciting addition is the “48-hour brioche doughnut,” a richer tasting doughnut with plenty of eggs and butter.