Here’s a review of the questions:
- Who was the Cincinnati Reds manager during the “Big Red Machine” era that won the World Series in 1975 and 1976 with the Reds and later, with the Detroit Tigers?
- What Cincinnati neighborhood is home to the Cincinnati Union Terminal?
- What is the name of the annual marathon run in Cincinnati during the first weekend in May?
And here are the answers:
- Sparky Anderson was an intensely driven baseball player as a young man who never reached the heights that he would later in life as a manager. He played and coached for several minor league teams and signed on as Reds manager in 1970. Born George Lee Anderson in South Dakota in 1934, he took his first major league managing position with the Reds. Within five years, he guided his dedicated platoon of players to back-to-back World Series As difficult an accomplishment as that may seem, he went even further when he left Cincinnati in 1979 to manage the Detroit Tigers, eventually winning another World Series in 1984.
- Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal, located in the Queensgate neighborhood, is a National Historic Landmark and one of Cincinnati’s greatest architectural treasures. It is a striking example of Art Deco style. Visitors can enjoy three museums, each with immersive and interactive exhibits, a state-of-the-art OMNIMAX Theater, and internationally acclaimed traveling exhibits. Queensgate has its own unique history. Formerly known as the West End, it is the region of the city where Crosley Field once stood, where the majority of the city’s pork production took place, and is currently undergoing major improvements that will bring more visitors to the area.
- This year’s Flying Pig Marathon was postponed to October, so you still have two months to get ready! The origin of the name comes from the city’s nickname, “Porkopolis,” which refers to the huge amount of pork producing industry in the city’s history. Since 1999, the marathon has welcomed runners from around the world to compete in a route that traverses the city. It is now the third-largest first-time marathon in the US, and potential marathoners wishing to enter the Boston Marathon must first qualify in Cincinnati.
Thanks for playing!