Here’s a review of this week’s questions:
- This Northern Kentucky healthcare conglomerate was founded in 1861 by Henrietta Cleveland and the Diocese of Covington. What is its name?
- Cincinnati Bell announced in 2022 a name change. What is the new name?
- A sports team called Black N Bluegrass makes its home in Covington, KY, just across the river from Cincinnati. What sport do they play?
And here are the answers:
- St. Elizabeth Healthcare. Currently operating six hospitals and over 150 doctor affiliate locations, St. Elizabeth Healthcare is a major player in the healthcare marketplace of the greater Cincinnati region. Founded in 1861 in Edgewood, KY, its first patients were abandoned children in the area, which caught the attention of the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor. Joining forces with the Diocese of Covington, financial contributions amassed, and the original hospital grew and moved several times before making its permanent home on James Simpson Way in Covington. Additional hospital locations are in Fort Thomas, Erlanger, and Florence, but the company’s reach expands all over Ohio and Indiana as well as Kentucky.
- Altafiber. Known as Cincinnati Bell since 1873, the company now known as Altafiber changed its name to reflect a more modern approach to communication, as well as showing its broader reach outside the Cincinnati area. Altafiber, which operates throughout the U.S., started providing fiber optic solutions in 1984 and has grown its footprint as consumer reliance on network technology has increased. Its mission is to “provide individuals and businesses with the fastest, most reliable, future-proof fiber network that delivers against Internet speeds, while maintaining our commitment the communities we serve.”
- Roller Derby. There’s another awesome derby in Kentucky and it’s roller derby! A sport, a culture, a spectacle that people in the area can experience by making their way to HITS Indoor Baseball in Covington to catch the Black N Bluegrass women’s roller derby team in action. Since 2006, the women have competed in the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association, against teams like the Barbed Wire Betties and the Bisman Bombshellz. Following league rules, the Pivot, the Jammer, and the Blockers (all names of team positions) attempt to win each Jam (race) to emerge victorious. This year’s squad includes “Sass Squash,” “Gigi Thunder” and “Briggs N Smack ‘Em” (probably not their real names).